Careers at Cellana
See what opportunities await you at a leading-edge, environmentally-focused company.
With a research and development facility in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii and an administrative office in San Diego, California, Cellana is building a dynamic company that is working together to build a green future based on algae-based biofuels and other important bioproducts. We offer a positive working environment in some of the best climates on earth with competitive salaries and benefits.
The Sr. Cultivation Biologist is responsible for cultivation processes from the laboratory to the large scale systems. This includes implementing plans for the scale-up of cultures to mid (200 L culture bags and mini-ponds) and large-scale photobioreactors (PBRs) and ponds. He/she will be responsible for working with the laboratory, operations and engineering departments to ensure effective implementation of the lab, mid and large-scale production schedule. Responsible for establishment of various production schedules/methods for each strain produced. Responsible for SOPs in both lab and field Cultivation, with constant method improvement for optimal cultivation processes. In consult with the Sr. Director of R & D, set action points to define when production cultures are not suitable for use. Supervision and training of cultivation staff is required. The position will require hands-on cultivation and lab support.
- Coordinate lab, mid and small scale production
- Responsible for maintenance of strain collection of multiple salt water strains
- Responsible for support of microbial community monitoring
- Coordinate large-scale production by liaising with the Engineering and Operations department
- Provide direct support to senior staff in conducting cultivation-related experimental measurements
- Collect and prepare both abiological and biological samples for lab analysis according to schedule
- Responsible for development of microscopy processes that can be repeated and have value for operations
- Appropriate maintenance and operation of salt water systems and filtration systems for lab and field to produce mono-algal cultures
- Manage the workload of direct reports and ensure progress of training and overall performance
- Plan and perform calibration, testing and maintenance of remotely operated sensors (such as temperature & PH) and laboratory equipment
- Assist with method development, modifications and validation of new methods for cultivation across the facility (from lab to large scale production)
- Responsible for the scoping, quotation and procurement of materials and chemicals associated with large-scale cultivation, chemical inventory and management
- Keep thorough records and enter cultivation/production data into database
- Prepare and QC nutrient stocks for mid and large-scale cultures
- Attend and participate in daily engineering meeting
- Responsible for large and mid scale culture maintenance including but not limited to monitoring of nutrient status, biomass density, contamination, maintaining bags & PBRs
- PBR builds: schedule at engineering meeting usually with at least one week notice. Update schedule on the engineering white board. Prep U-tube and end assembly. Participate in build.
- Responsible for large and mid scale culture and fluid transfer such as pond inoculations, CIP and pond splits
- Responsible for specific instrument operation, according to SOP and QA protocols as needed
- Control costs and make suggestions to improve production cost structure whenever possible
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications (Experience, Skills and Education):
- Masters degree in marine microbiology, phycology oceanography, analytical chemistry or other relevant biological or chemistry discipline combined with 3+ years’ work directly related to the work at Cellana (algae culture and/or relevant analytical instrumentation) OR
- Bachelors degree in a related discipline, such as marine microbiology; oceanography, analytical chemistry or other relevant biological and/or chemistry discipline with 5+ years’ work at Cellana and meets at least 80% of the metrics in intellectual work and contributions
- Knowledge of cultivation procedures for laboratories and large scale production
- Knowledge of lab based techniques for maintaining strain collections and cultures, both axenic and mono-algal
- Strong capability in data recording, handling and software procedures
- Demonstrated experience with seawater system filtration maintenance and operation
- Experience in the use and application of HSSE and QA procedures
- Level of position depends on years of experience and education
Relocation assistance will not be provided. Must be eligible to work in the United States. Cellana offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and paid time off and holidays. Qualified candidates please send your letter of interest, resume and names and contact information of 3 professional references to: HR@cellana.com
For open positions, qualified candidates please send your letter of interest, resume, and names and contact information of three professional references to: Human Resources.