Careers at Cellana
See what opportunities await you at a leading-edge, environmentally-focused company.
With a research and development facility in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii and an administrative office in San Diego, California, Cellana is building a dynamic company that is working together to build a green future based on algae-based biofuels and other important bioproducts. We offer a positive working environment in some of the best climates on earth with competitive salaries and benefits.
Cellana aims to sustainably transform agriculture, nutrition and energy using marine algae, the most productive photosynthetic organism on the planet. In this way we will provide food security and combat climate change at the same time. If you have a passion for being part of an organization that can change the world and you have accounting skills, we encourage you to apply for the job described below.
The Junior Accountant position is being established for the purpose of supporting the accounting department by being the primary individual responsible for entering the majority of financial transactions into the system that reflect the activities of the company in the financial statements. The position will report to the Controller and is based in Kona, Hawaii.
- Accounts Payable: enter invoices, reconcile accounts, prepare checks, review expense reports
- Accounts Receivable: prepare invoices, review payments, and reconcile accounts
- Payroll: Collect information from timecards and prepare reports for 3rd party service
- General Ledger: record journal entries and appropriate reports, month-, quarter-, and year-end closings
- Other Accounting-related duties
Education and Experience
- Degree in accounting, or equivalent number of years of experience with formal accounting training, is required
- Proficiency in relevant accounting systems, preferably QuickBooks and Microsoft Office applications, especially Microsoft Excel
- Knowledge of general office procedures , office equipment and generally accepted accounting principles, General knowledge of local, state, and federal laws regarding accounting, payroll, finances, and taxation
Key Competencies and Abilities
- Confidentiality and the ability to work with sensitive data
- High degree of accuracy in mathematical computations
- Ethical conduct
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- A self-starter who will follow through with tasks until completion and strive to continually learn what he/she doesn’t already know
- Ability to plan, organize, schedule, and to meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Problem analysis and problem-solving skills (able to analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions)
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse set of individuals
- Ability to effectively work in a fast-paced environment. Comfortable with change. Flexible.
Cellana is a dynamic company which highly values team work and initiative. We expect the highest level of respect and ethical behavior from our employees. This is a full-time position, with 40 hours being the typical work week, but some overtime may be required.
Relocation assistance will not be provided. Candidate must be eligible to work in the United States. Cellana offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and paid time off and holidays. Qualified candidates please send your letter of interest, resume and names and contact information of 3 professional references to: HR@cellana.com.
Cellana is an equal opportunity employer.
Cellana aims to sustainably transform agriculture, nutrition and energy using marine algae, the most productive photosynthetic organism on the planet. In this way we will provide food security and combat climate change at the same time. If you have a passion for being part of an organization that can change the world and you have analytical chemistry and management skills, we encourage you to apply for the job described below.
Provide strategic and operational guidance on analytical requirements necessary to drive data generation for microalgae cultivation, experimentation, and production at Cellana’s Kona Demonstration Facility. This position is responsible for the selection and implementation of applicable industry standard testing, as well as for ensuring the quality and integrity of the data generated in the lab. The position is responsible for the development and validation of methods and protocols as well as for the qualification of personnel, equipment, and practices within the laboratory. This position will coordinate activities in the laboratory and will interface significantly with the algae production and operations departments.
- Oversight of analytical lab including, budget, equipment maintenance, ordering, method development, as well as some hands-on experimentation required
- Drive laboratory to meet GLP/GMP standards
- Design and implement critical QC related testing for microalgae production
- Manage lab staff including scheduling, performance issues, hiring etc. Ensure all lab staff have adequate resources and training to perform all aspects of work required.
- Develop, implement and monitor protocols and corrective actions for any HSSE and/or SOP matters with regards to laboratory and experimental procedures.
- Collaborate with scientific, cultivation and operations staff to conduct research projects on the mid-scale pad and to maintain laboratory.
- Perform other duties as required
Education and Experience
PhD with previous industrial experience in microalgae preferred. Masters or Bachelors degree in chemistry, biochemistry and/or biology with appropriate practical laboratory experience in the fundamental operation, methods development and interpretation of data is acceptable.
- Experience with microalgae analysis methods
- GCMS/GCFID experience preferred
- Good working knowledge of sample preparation techniques, wet chemistry and ability to apply methods using good laboratory techniques
- Demonstrated ability to understand and use techniques of interfacing analytical equipment with computer systems
- Ability to analyze data and recommend experimental path forward based on results
- Familiarity with lipid analysis, carbohydrates and C/N preferred
- Strong communication (both written and verbal) and inter-personal skills
- Ability to prioritize workload, meet deadlines and perform under pressure
- Analyze and solve problems in a collaborative environment
- Work safely with a variety of chemicals
- Highly organized and adaptable to fast paced, changing work environment of a dynamic small company
- Physical requirements include, but are not limited to, bending, crouching, kneeling, keyboarding, walking, sitting, lifting, seeing and hearing within the normal visual and audio range. Must have the ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
Cellana is a dynamic company that highly values teamwork and initiative. We expect the highest level of respect and ethical behavior from our employees. This is a full-time exempt position and is located at our facility in Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii.
Relocation assistance will not be provided. Candidate must be eligible to work in the United States. Cellana offers a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, and paid time off and holidays. Qualified candidates, please send your letter of interest, resume and names and contact information of 3 professional references to: HR@cellana.com.
Cellana is an equal-opportunity employer.
For open positions, qualified candidates please send your letter of interest, resume, and names and contact information of three professional references to: Human Resources.