Careers at Cellana
See what opportunities await you at a leading-edge, environmentally-focused company.
With a research and development facility in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii and an administrative office in San Diego, California, Cellana is building a dynamic company that is working together to build a green future based on algae-based biofuels and other important bioproducts. We offer a positive working environment in some of the best climates on earth with competitive salaries and benefits.
The Analytical Chemist will support Cellana’s commercial and research and development effort in achieving company goals and meeting grant requirements. The position is responsible for providing analytical laboratory and technical support by performing routine analyses using standard laboratory techniques (to include but not limited to HPLC, GCMS, GC-FID, UV-Vis, elemental C/N, carbohydrates and ASE), as well as developing and implementing new analytical procedures as required.
- Conduct routine analyses on a daily basis or as needed for specific R&D functions/projects/production, specifically responsible for analytical chemistry lab procedures such as moisture, ash, HPLC, GC-MS and FID, elemental C/N, carbohydrates and ASE.
- Operate, maintain, calibrate and troubleshoot analytical equipment, as well as maintain contact with instrument service providers.
- Perform analytical method development and validation, document procedures and write SOPS, review and revise analytical methods as needed, and ensure analytical methods are fully tested for ruggedness before implementation in routine QA/QC.
- Prepare samples and standard materials, and maintain an accurate record of all experiments and daily tasks in laboratory notebook and as required by Quality Assurance.
- Data entry, control, presentation and interpretation of analytical results, utilizing sophisticated spreadsheets and/or vendor software (Chemstation, Chromeleon etc.) including some fundamental statistics.
- Understand and apply sample custody procedures-sample tracking suggesting improvements as needed.
- Responsible for safe handling of chemicals, and implementing appropriate HSSE policies for equipment and procedures.
- Maintain adequate inventory of supplies for required analysis and submit requisitions in a timely fashion to Laboratory Manager.
- Routine cleaning of equipment and other general laboratory housekeeping responsibilities.
- Routine production of chemical reagents for lab use and experimentation.
- Train and assist less experienced staff as needed.
- Inform Laboratory Manager of any problems and/or deviations that may affect the integrity of the data and participates in corrective action of problems.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with laboratory manager, staff and outside agents (grant collaborators).
- Be self-motivated and believe in delivering on time results.
- Performs other duties as requested.
BS degree in biology, chemistry or related field and 1+ year’s practical laboratory experience in the fundamental operation, method development and interpretation of data from HPLC and GC/MS.
Relocation assistance will not be provided. Must be eligible to work in the United States. Cellana offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and paid time off and holidays. Qualified candidates please send your letter of interest, resume and names and contact information of 3 professional references to: HR@cellana.com
Cellana is an equal opportunity employer.
For open positions, qualified candidates please send your letter of interest, resume, and names and contact information of three professional references to: Human Resources.